Main | Friday, July 25, 2014

Quote Of The Day - Maggie Gallagher

"When Christians tell me that homosexuality is 'socially constructed' and therefore not a 'real; permanent feature of human existence, I generally respond 'I know gay people exist the same way that I know that Methodists exist. I’ve met them.' In other words, not all categories that are real are founded on fixed unchangeable essences. Sexual orientation as a concept is a way of organizing 'given reality' (sexual attraction) into a communal identity, the strongest kind. It is therefore not at all like race, and but rather more akin to religion. I never ever think of myself as a heterosexual, nonetheless my own ideas about my experience of sexuality ('we are born male and female and called to come together in love in this thing called marriage') are core enough to my identity and my sense of what is required for communal good that I am willing to suffer rather than renounce them, if necessary. They are not positions I hold, they are part of who I am." - Maggie Gallagher, writing for her personal blog. (Tipped by JMG reader Aaron)

Labels: , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home